Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Over

The holiday’s are over it seems. My actual holiday, the last week, have been Ok. I decided to go to a few places on Kyushu, Kagoshima and Fukuoka mainly, and my trips were nice. It was quite odd going on holiday alone, the first time I’ve ever done so, and I must say that I prefer travelling with others. Not that I was lonely, but there’s only so long you can go without having anyone to talk to.

I decided to invest in a new camera too. I figured I’d treat myself as I hadn’t really spent any money on the trips (or at least no serious amounts of money) so I opted for the new Canon Digital SLR (one of the big chunky ones for the uninitiated, as I was last week). Through the local host family, who own a camera shop, I was able to order it for a great deal less than the street price and I’ll get it two days before it’s officially released on the 8th. Score. I’ll put up any and all photos I take that are any good. Not many then.

Let’s see, what else has happened? Well I’ve met the new guys properly. They’re all great as far as I can see. Lien (or Lynne as she prefers) is very lively and happy and easy to talk to. The married couple are cool too, Nathan being the more talkative of the two. Rachael is possibly the quietest person I’ve ever met but she’s lovely. There’s a few I haven’t met yet, Carlo down in Toyo village and Geoffrey and Aashima who are in Yats. I’ve heard various things about them all, ranging from the good to the not so good. We’ll see.

As lovely as they are, it seems that none of them are really party people. I didn’t expect them all to be Shaun Ryder’s but they don’t really seem the sort of people who will join you for a casual drink on a Saturday night. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, it’s still very much a hectic period for all of them, but as nice as they all are they don’t seem to be that sort of people. And that’s fine, they obviously came to Japan for other, perhaps more admirable reason than to go out drinking with other gaijins but it does make me realise how much I miss the old guys and the fun I was having this time last year.


No comments: