Monday, August 01, 2005

Tokyo

I'm writing this while sitting in bed on the 24th floor of the Tokyo Keio Plaza hotel. There seems to be a wireless network up here but I'm not sure why; I'm certainly not complaining however.

Well, it's certainly been some kind of day. I haven't slept in almost 24 hours (I think) and I've been busy.

Leaving the folks and Hannah at the departure lounge certainly wasn't easy, but luckily the flight itself was fine. The in flight entertainment was amazing, they had 40 movies to choose from as well as a digital jukebox of 50 CDs. This is probably why I haven't had any sleep. Anyway, after the excruciating pain in my ears had subsided after landing I realised we were at the hotel. And a very nice one it is too. For example, here's the view from my window:



And here’s the view from the 45th floor bar in the hotel:



Mmm, very Lost in Translation. Infact, I’ve been reminded of this film multiple times in the last few days. I was in a lift with 10 Japanese businessmen, none over 5’7. I’ve had to bend over double to get my head under the showerhead in my bathroom. I’ve sat staring at Japanese TV, utterly confused at what I supposed to be watched (for all of 3 minutes, I’m busy remember?).

The first day was quite surreal. After we got to the hotel we decided that Tokyo couldn’t not be explored so we set off. We actually managed to catch a train to Electric city in the Akihabara region, a town that sells nothing but electronic goods. We also managed, with a suitable amount of odd looks and smirks, to order lunch at a tiny little eatery by pointing at plastic mockups of the meals and raising one finger.

I’m finishing off this entry sat on the floor of the hotel’s 4th floor lobby, mainly because there’s no space in the room with the seats abd they don’t call these tings wireless networks for nothing. I was stopped for the first time to day by a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls, clad in clichéd but traditional garb, and asked for photos. I spent the next five minutes grinning madly as a neverending stream of them marched up, got their friend to point their phone at me and pulled a two fingered gesture that I’m assuming was polite.

Better end this here, my back is killing and people won’t stop taking photos, as if they’d never seen 50 people sat on a hotel floor typing on laptops….

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Women, Rik? Little Japanese schoolgirls in 'traditional garb'? I take that to mean schoolgirl uniforms, rather than coolie hats (or is that the Chinese? So ignorant..).

Anyway, crowds of them? Pointing at you? Giggling? FLIRTING?!!?You're out of the country five minutes and already its started...

Sorry to hear your backs still knackered, hope it gets better soon. You could get one of your adoring fans to rub it for you ;) (mwahahaha).

Glad to hear you're safe and well, the view from your hotel room looks amazing, and very LIT. Seen any dishevelled looking Western businessmen hanging out in the hotel bar yet? Perhaps with gaggles of 'schoolgirls'? Marvellous.

I'll get on. Have fun and take care.

Hannah x

PS. Buffy sends her love. Gus says bugger off.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you quickly overcame the loss of your loved ones!What time did you take off?Your mum & I were stood on the top floor of the car park waiting to see a Vir gin plane take off.Fortunately the armed police were gentle with us and let us off with a warning after blowing up you mum's bag!
Tokyo looks good, why learn the language if they have photos of the food.
When do you go to Kumamoto?
Did you have any problem with your luggage?
Cardiff lost to West Brom. knew you would be desperate to know result.Don't worry I will let you know how they go on each week.
Take care speak to you soon.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Not to be left out of the conversation, glad to know you are OK and obviously eating well (oh that's such a mum type observation)I assume you had no trouble with your hand luggage on the flight, all that worry for nothing! Hope things are going well with the orientation sessions, take care and enjoy the moment. Sasha says meow from her bed in the computer room. Love from Mum x

Anonymous said...

How do Rik!! A word of advice. Not all two fingered gestures are nice. Many people make two fingered and sometimes one fingered gestures at me and I find them quite offensive. Nice view from your window. Looks really cool (very Lost in Translation). You'll be doing adverts for whiskey next!!

Following the trend set by your mum, dad and hannah, my dog Rosie and all my fish say a big hello!!

Have a good time rik! I'll be following your blog so I'll post again soon!

Chris A

Anonymous said...

Hi nephew and cousin Richard, (who's Rik!!!!!! LOL) Hope all is fine, cant say much everything has already been said!! Here comes the present list, we thought we'd give it to you early so you will have enough time to get it all. Dont forget I (Rhian) wants a 6ft 1ins Japanese fella (ha ha) we hear theres loads of them about over there!!!! Aunty Jan wants a Kimono (extra large!!) and anything gadgety for the boys. We will make a copy of this to show Grampa! Take care we'll speak to you soon the Keene family, Grampa, Pippen and the 4 fish that are left in the aquarium!!!! xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know Cardiff lost their firt league game 1-0 to Ipswich.But they won second game against Leeds 2-1.They play Watford onFriday and its on Sky you must be gutted to miss that.
England won 2nd test against Australia now 1-1 in series.It was a very exciting game we won by 2 runs.
Mr. Fukuda rang us and read us your message.Glad to see you arrived ok.I spoke to Hannah to keep her upto date.She was very excited about the cricket and also pleased to see you had arrived safely.No doubt you will contact us when the internet & the phone are connected.
Take care,
Dad